Monday 2 January 2012

29 Dec 2011 - Visit to Doctor - Confusion about precriptions

I visited the doctor and explained that I wanted to try this Optifast diet plan.  She was a bit cautious and said she preferred a plan that included exercise and weight loss by changing to healthy eating habits.  I explained that one of the main reasons for wanting to try this programme was because of the potential for reversing diabetes which required the rapid weight loss in order to kick start the pancreas.

She became a bit more interested at this point and I gave her the the information for doctors and the press release articles to keep as she had never heard of Optifast or this research..

She said that unfortunately she could not write out a prescription for Optifast as diet products were not prescribable in the UK which was a pity since as a diabetic I get exemption from prescription costs.  However if I did go on this diet then she would be supportive and that I should come to the surgery after a week or two and get some blood tests.

I was encouraged but disappointed that I couldn't get the product on prescription.  I went home to see if I could buy Optifast on the internet.  I checked eBay and there was nothing available in the UK.  There was a seller in Australia but with the postage and possible customs duty, it would be cheaper to get it from my pharmacist.  I then checked out Amazon and I found a seller in the US that was offering over 50% discount but unfortunately they wouldn't ship to the UK.

Next I found that Lloyds Pharmacy online were selling Optifast at £2.90 per sachet but their website said that you needed a prescription - either an NHS or a private one.  What was odd was that with a private prescription they charged an extra £1.45 for postage.  Being a bit confused by the requirement for a prescription, I phoned Lloyds who confirmed they would only supply Optifast with a prescription and when I pushed them that my GP said she couldn't write a prescription for Optifast, they said to get a private one and I got the impression they wanted me to talk with their online doctor and pay for a private prescription.

I then telephoned Nestle Nutrition.  They told me that Optifast does require a prescription but that the patient would still have to pay full price for the product. Hmm.

Back to the pharmacist - I told him I wanted to order the product but as it is so expensive and I need quite a lot, could he do me a deal especially as it was cheaper at Lloyds pharmacy.  He mad a few calls and found he couldn't get it from his usual suppliers.  He phoned Nestle who were now closed till the 3rd of January and so he would get back to me then.

On the Cycle of Change - see post 25 December 2011 - I would put myself at the Preparation stage - intent on taking action..

No comments:

Post a Comment