Friday 8 June 2012

3 stone off (19 kg) - just 2lb to go to target - BMI just into normal range (24.9)

I feel great - a couple of years ago I bought a pair of Versace jeans from a designer outlet village - one of my targets to to be able to get into these and I wore them comfortably for the first time last week.

My main target though was to try to reduce my medications and a recent medical review saw my diabetic medication reduce from 3 tablets a day down to one with the promise that if I kept up with this progress they will be gone altogether and I'll be back to diet controlled again - I really believe I'll be able to reverse my diabetes entirely.

My blood pressure is also looking great - 120/70 - again, promise of reducing if not eliminating these tablets altogether in a few months.

I'm going to be a volunteer Games Maker at the Olympics - my weight loss has boosted my confidence of being around all these fit athletes.

The best thing about this diet is that I really enjoy using these products - I find them tasty and satisfying - it has been no hardship whatsoever.  When I get to my target, I'll need to modify my programme so that I can comfortably maintain my weight.

I gave up my original plan of using Optifast because they (Nestle) made it so difficult to get their product in the UK as they wanted to maintain the idea that is was only to be used prior to gastric band surgery which is how they justified the high price and why they insisted on a private doctor's prescription in order to maintain this perception.  I wouldn't say it was a scam but my pharmacist said the ingredients in Optifast were no big deal and not dissimilar from other meal replacement products on the market.  

I use a combination of Biggest Loser and Slimfast products - whatever is offering the best deals at the time I am in the supermarkets - recently I got a good deal on Biggest Loser through the Groupon discount website.

Getting a lot more hits on my recipepicker.com website after it was mentioned in Martin Lewis's MoneySavingExpert.com forums - a great way to make use of ingredients left over and you can also specify dietary requirements like diabetic, low GI, low carbs, etc.

Another important thing to try to achieve is to give up smoking if you are a smoker.  Check out www.QuitSmokingPal.com for a totally different, smoker-friendly, approach to quitting especially if you have tried all the other methods without any success.

I'm 60 this year and I've never felt more energetic in years - hope I'm encouraging you too.

Will check in again soon with more news about my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment